A conversation between Dr. Jessica Zitter, Dr. Monica Soni and Leah Puccio
Physicians' first oath is "do no harm". The lines get blurry quickly in end-of-life situations -- especially when there are no good options. In absence of advance care planning (ACP) with the patient and their family, doctors face the overwhelming job of helping people make the hardest decisions they'll face in life.
The consequences are painfully felt within families, health systems, and health plans, at great emotional and financial costs.
Hear from the panelists as they confront the heart-wrenching, avoidable circumstances that happen in our hospitals and homes every day.
Inspired by the powerful documentaries Extremis and Caregiver, A Love Story. You will hear about:
- How the healthcare system takes over in absence of ACP
- The continued gap between what patients want and what they get
- Why even motivated stakeholders such as health plans and delivery systems struggle to close this gap
- Meeting people where they are to align care with their values and wishes
- Dr. Jessica Zitter, Palliative and Critical Care Physician, Filmmaker, Author, and Co-Founder of Vital Decisions
- Dr. Monica Soni, Senior Medical Director, New Century Health
- Leah Puccio, CEO, Vital Decisions
New Century Health is not responsible for the content of the documentary which is referenced and partially included in this presentation. Portions of the documentary have been included for informational purposes only.